King David to Soloman:“So now I charge you in the sight of all Israel and of the assembly of the Lord, and in the hearing of our God: Be careful to follow all the commands of the Lord your God, that you may possess this good land and pass it on as an inheritance to your descendants forever. And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you; but if you forsake him, he will reject you forever. Consider now, for the Lord has chosen you to build a house as the sanctuary. Be strong and do the work.” 1 Chronicles 28:8-10 (NIV)
King David is described by God as a “man after God’s own heart”. In the passage above the king passes on final words to his son- his son Soloman who will become the wisest man on earth.
I think we all relate with David in many ways: 1) He was hardly perfect – having committed adultery with Bathsheba and murdering her husband. Bathsheba eventually gives birth to Solomon; 2) David chases after God in many flawed ways but keeps on trying, and 3) He wants to pass on the best to his kids.
That kingly charge has been a huge motivator to me in building my most important disciples – those carrying on my legacy; my children and now grandchildren. For my background is flawed with adultery, many stumbles chasing after God, but I keep getting back up to pass on the very best to those I love and influence. So I come back to these foundational disciple building blocks and do my best to live them and share them:
- Get to know God personally – read the Bible, it has keys to security, happiness and justice. And find ways to apply it
- Learn God’s commands and discover what he wants you to do- God knows you intimately, and has a plan for him. Obey Him not as an obligation but a choice to love Him back
- Worship God with whole hearted devotion- seek God, love Him and He will take you through everything.
- Serve God with a willing mind – the biggest joke to God is likely our plans for ourselves. His plans are so much better. You will know,you are on His plan, when you are at peace with your decisions. There will still be risk and hard times.
- Be faithful to God, then a spouse, kids, family, friends and then work (in that order). Don’t put things out of that order
- Don’t become discouraged – life is not easy. Be strong. But this is just a glimmer of what Heaven and eternity can and will be like.
These words capture David discipling his son to be completely open with God and dedicated to Him. We are not to hide thoughts and actions from Him. He knows the worst about us and loves us anyway. That empowers us to be Kingdom Men influencing generations to come.
Daily Battle Order: Find the Solomon in your life, who needs your guidance? Take time today to write out what your guidance is for them, or even how you would share David’s charge. I’m so thankful that my son-in-law is living these Items out raising his children, my own legacy into future generations.